Saturday, April 4, 2009

Third Year

I just finished my second week. I liked labor and delivery, at least the night shift. The next two weeks will be women's health clinic. I did two or three vaginal exams last week, which I was a little afraid of but now I'm not so worried about. I saw about six deliveries, delivered a placenta, and almost got to catch a baby. I think I'll get another chance in a couple months, or maybe on my weekend shift next week if I'm lucky.

There's a lot of pressure to know things, since almost everyone I talk to on the team is a resident or intern or physician who knows more than me, and I know almost nothing. So I try to be like a sponge, picking up little tips and facts and concepts right and left, but it's hard to make them stick. It is kind of cool to be doing something rather than just thinking all the time. I go back and forth between feeling very enthusiastic and feeling overwhelmed by the sheer mass of information I need to know by the time I get through all the specialties. One of the residents told us we would need thick skin to make it through, and I can see why; sometimes it's hard not to take it personally when other trainees ignore you or laugh at you or chew you out or simply look disgusted with your ignorance and stupidity. At least I don't have any true responsibilities for patient care yet--it's hard to imagine ever being competent enough to be entrusted with it. Someday.

Anyway, I'm almost halfway through OB/GYN so I guess this thing will move right along. I hear fourth year is much more chilled out--I'm sure I'll remind myself of that regularly. For the moment, at least, the resentment is passed and I'm having a good time.

5 comments:

maryirene said...

wow! what a world. we love you. i really like hearing these updates and thoughts. i'm glad to hear you are feeling less uncomfortable. can't really picture myself there. so glad there are people who do go through medical school. we need people like you, so i guess i'm saying thanks. haha.

k8theriver said...

overwhelmed just reading about it. i dreaded student teaching--this is a bazillion times worse.

Sarah said...

Scott you are way smarter then me and I have survived the medical world. You will gain confidence soon. I hope almost catching a baby doesn't mean you dropped it. We are driving through ct right now and we wish you were still here. Love you all
Sarah

hebgengirl said...

I'm so glad you're moving on through your rotations. I think OB/Gyn would be fascinating, but I really don't have any need for it anymore. Let me know when you get to Dermatology or Neurology! That's why you're in med school, right? So I have someone to call when I need help? (No, it's really not all about me, is it?!!) Just teasing- you are such a caring, diligent person- you'll be an amazing MD!

Ashley said...

keep plugging along unfortunately the abuse continues for a very long time. But happy to report almost one year out of residency is a different world! I think Justin will be on top of the world once he gets his board certification exams out of the way next week :)Keep it up and find something you really enjoy, so you can get through the rest of the crap (and there still is crap even after residency but at least you are in more control)